For Saturday’s Pie in the Park event in Prospect Park I made little blueberry, plum, almondpie-lettes which had a thin layer of almond cream on the bottom and a crunchy almond topping. They were cute and tasty. Having them small meant that I didn’t have to cut them up or serve them which was key on this crowded, pie-filled day.
Instead of recapping the event (Metromix already has that covered complete with tons of pie porn!) I thought I would share some tips of what to bring to a pie off now that I am a veteran of two!
- BYOK ~ bring your own knife. the organizers may bring some but having your sharpened favorite saves you from hunting around.
- Serving Plan ~ at tasting events everyone wants a small piece of pie and trying to carve out one bite that also has the optimal crust-to-filling ratio is a challenge. A dense pie, like pecan or a chess pie might be most ideal. Little pie-lettes solve this, too!
- Signage ~ preparing a little sign with the name of my pie saved me from having to make one on the fly.
- Prettificiation ~ bring a cloth, flowers, or relevent fruits to pretty up your pie to help it stand out as the delicious treat it is.
- Baby wipes ~ i spotted a very smart person who had these on Saturday and I was jealous. And sticky. These could also double as a quick way to wipe our your pie plates.
- A blanket ~ specifically for Pie in the Park, a blanket and a picnic of savory treats to counteract the sugar high will definitely be in my plans for next year.
Do you have any other tips for pie offs?
Thanks to Trinnie, Martha, and Liz for joining the pie fun!